Thanks to the Campaign and over 3,100 signatures on the petition Powys Council Cabinet have changed their mind and the Newtown and Welshpool Potters sites will remain open but for only for 3 days / week.
The change of mind would not have happened without the large petition handed to the Council before Christmas, and the hundreds of individual questions and comments sent to them. Thank you to all those who signed. It is clear that there is a huge need for proper recycling and waste facilities here.
This is a partial reprieve but there are important questions that Powys County Council needs to answer:
1. What happens next year – the sites are saved for only one year?
2. Will the Newtown Potters site open on peak days including the weekend?
3. What plans have Powys County Council in place to tackle increased Fly Tipping?
4. Will Powys County Council consider a door to door garden waste service?
5. Will extra skips be provided in Newtown’s Back Lane Car Park?
We do not believe the three days a week opening will work well and we worry that recycling rates will fall and illegal fly tipping will increase. We are calling for a full review of the Recycling and Waste collection services so that we can have a proper long term solution for the future.
We are now collecting signatures for our 3 DAYS IS NOT ENOUGH petition which we will pass onto the Council next month. Please sign the on-line petition now.